JG_Legal
JG_Legal, Barrister
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
79731440

I have been in a relationship with a girl which has now finished.

I have been in a relationship with a girl which has now finished. We decided on a joint venture when together buying a motorhome . its cost was £4000. She paid that however it was my duty to pay for most of the other items. New skylights £40 x 2 plus a £80 one. Repairs £500 pounds. Tax given to her has a cheque and issurance paid by a cheque to her. Battery for £100 plus numerous other items to satisfy the j.v. She has now demanded the everything is hers and feels she owes me nothing. She had even parked it for months on my address at no charge.
Where do i stand on recovery if any. Advise please
Darren R.Lee *********** ***@******.***
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 2 years ago.
Its hard to see that a criminal offence has taken place so the police will not be able to assist. Write to her and explain that you paid for the goods/services in relation to the motorhome under the clear agreement that you would benefit from it. Ask her to pay you back all of the payments you made. Give her 14 days to respond and/or make the payment. Send it recorded or signed for. If she doesn't take any action or even respond you can initiate a small claim through the courts for the recovery of your money. You can do this online through a government run portal: https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. If this answers your questions please accept my answer. If you require further clarification please ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do i need to give back all parts including the spare set of keys at this point?
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 2 years ago.
No, you don't have to in order to make a claim against her.Has she requested them back? Are they parts which you a claiming a refund for buying or just accessories for the motorhome?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have just my set of keys and some parts that were removed for repairs to the vehicle?
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 2 years ago.
You might want to consider selling the parts to recover some of your money. However, it might be better to just write her the letter and if she asks for the keys and parts and you send them to her it will strengthen your claim as she will be asserting ownership over the motorhome. If recommend you follow my advice and write to her and then make a claim.If this answers your questions please accept my answer. If you require further clarification please ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sending the keys, boths sets. Does that leave me disadvantaged?
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
No, your claim is for the money you spent on the motorhome so you are ending your ownership of it. Whereas your ex-partner is asserting her exclusive ownership of it. If you send the keys it will enhance her ownership and therefore strengthen your claim.If this answers your questions please accept my answer. If you require further clarification please ask.