JG_Legal
JG_Legal, Barrister
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
79731440

I'm ashamed to admit this. I dodged a train ticket for

Customer Question

I'm ashamed to admit this. I dodged a train ticket for my very first time a month ago, and I got caught on the train. The worst thing is that I told the inspector a lie saying that I actually had a weekly ticket at home, but I forgot to bring it. He asked me to send a photo copy of the ticket within two weeks. I didn't send a copy because I didn't have one. Now I have received a warning letter from the train company saying that if I don't send a copy, this would result in prosecution. I understand that getting prosecuted means I have to pay fine and have a criminal record. I don't mind paying fine, but I absolutely don't want a criminal record. My question is if sending an apology letter at this stage would help the situation. Or admitting the crime in a letter would lead the situation worse. Another question is if it would be better to get some proper advice from a solicitor if writing an apology letter.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 1 year ago.
Did you say that you had a registered weekly ticket? As opposed to a weekly ticket that you can just buy ad hoc from a ticket machine.