Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am sponsoring my fiances visa application but am a contractor

Customer Question

I am sponsoring my fiances visa application but am a contractor working through my Ltd company. I have been told to provide 1 of the following:-
One of the following documents must also be provided:
(1)
A certificate of VAT registration and the VAT return for the last full
financial year (a copy or printout) confirming the VAT registration number,
if turnover is in excess of £79,000 or was in excess of the threshold which
applied during the last full financial year.
(2) Proof of ownership or lease of business premises.
(3) Original proof of registration with HMRC as an employer for the
purposes of PAYE and National Insurance, proof of PAYE reference
number and Accounts Office reference number. This evidence may be in
the form of a certified copy of the documentation issued by HMRC
I did not earn the £79K threshold last financial year but I am VAT registered & still charge & pay VAT as you can't opt out of it annually.
I don't have business premises
The original proof of registration is not a legal requirement for a business to hold & will take a while to get from HMRC.
So can I submit the VAT Registration and my VAT return in place of it as my last financial year is an anomaly, I normally earn substantially more than the £79k.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. There is no difficulty with you submitting your VAT return and VAT figures for last year, even though they did not exceed the VAT threshhold of £79k. What the immigration authorities want to see is that you are fully tax compliant and paying VAT, not whether you exceeded the threshold or not. So long as you are VAT registered then that is OK.