Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I made a payment of 899 to sta travel using my bank card.

Hi I made a payment of 899 to sta travel using my bank card. The payment was approved by my bank and I received a receipt from the travel agency. It left me with 20 pounds available balance on my account however last night when I checked my account I have over 900 available. I called sta travel to make sure they received the payment and they said it was all fine and the bank approved it. So I called the bank and they said that I never made that payment I explained I had and told them the day I paid and told them about the recept. But they just said they cant see it on there system. Yet the travel agent confirmed that the payment had been made and said all was OK on there end. Is there anything more I can do to make sure I don't get in trouble for what seems to be the banks mistake or should I just leave it.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. To confirm the bank states the money is still in your account, but STA are insisting that you have paid? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah the payment was pending to go out but then it didn't. The bank said I never made that payment but the travel agent insisted I did
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After I made the payment it showed up in my online transactions pending to go out but then it didn't go out and the pending was nowhere to be seen and the bank said I never made that payment. But its still showing up on the travel agency side and they sent me a receipt for the money.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you. It seems like STA may have made the error here, all if you have confirmation in writing that payment has been received then I would leave the issue be, I would just bare in mind that STA will be able to demand the money from you at any time over the next 6 years if they have indeed made the mistake. You have confirmed with STA that they received payment so there is no other obligation you have to discharge at this stage. If you are worried about this hanging over your head, then you could just explicitly say to STA that the money has not been take so they may want to double check? There is not really anything else you can do other than let "sleeping dogs lie" and if they do not notice within 6 years you will likely never have to pay them.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I would only suggest that if you are worried that this might jeopordise your trip, then you should own up. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, No problem. I wish you the best of luck. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further? Kind regards AJ