29905560

I'm a dental nurse today I had one of my very rude patients

I'm a dental nurse today I had one of my very rude patients in a 14 yr old boy who's was rude to me when I was asking him questions ref his braces. I wasn't rude back but a bit firm as he wouldn't answer my questions to him. After he went my dentist told me that I cant talk to him like that and need to bite my tongue and get on with with it as its their right. I said I'm not taking that from him as he is disrespectable to me. She then got a bit off and said she doesn't give a shit and that's that. Then went to have a word with my manager who came to me and said that I have to do what the dentist said and I don't have a say in it. I said I'm wasn't happy and she wants to have a meeting now tommrow. Where do I stand on the whole thing. Tina
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

How long have you worked there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben I've worked there for 8 years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Have you been told what the purpose of the meeting is - is it informal or are they treating it as a disciplinary?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My manager didn't say. Probably a normal meeting. My dentist wouldn't know as she had left by then
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
OK it does appear that this is just an informal meeting to discuss what happened rather than a formal disciplinary. If it was a disciplinary then the employer would have had to investigate things first and also give you formal notice advising you that you were being taken through a disciplinary So at this stage you should not be too concerned. They may wish to discuss what happened and try to find an amicable ay forward – for example agreeing on what is acceptable and what is not. If they felt it was necessary they could potentially still decide to go ahead with a formal disciplinary but I would hope it is not necessary at this stage, especially if things can be resolved informally at the meeting. As someone who has 8 years’ service you are protected against unfair dismissal so the employer cannot just decide to go to such lengths and terminate your employment because of this. They must be able to show you had been guilty of gross misconduct or continuously been guilty of misconduct. An isolated incident such as this would not be enough to justify dismissal but it may do if you are formally warned now and you continue to ignore their requests and act in an insubordinate manner over time. Eventually after 1-2 warnings they may decide to dismiss but it is some time away from that and way too early to even consider it. So just attend the meeting, see what they have to say and try to cooperate with any reasonable requests they may have. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you