29905560

I run a building company and was asked by one of my regular

I run a building company and was asked by one of my regular clients to look at a job for one of his neighbours. Having met the neighbour I turned down the job however gave the builder who came with me permission to take the job on himself which he did.
He. Is somewhat nieve and took on and completed the job without deposit or any agreement. However the client asked by text the specification of the job and the price which he gave. She then said please go ahead by small mobile text after the other questions
had been communicated and answered in the same way. Are mobile phone texts admissible in the small claims court?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Yes text messages could indeed be used as evidence in the small claims court. Even verbal evidence, basically one person's account of what happened is often used as evidence so the texts together with what the builder says happened can be used in the case.
Usually one would take a screen shot of the text messages and then save them as a photo, printing them and then use them as documentary evidence, rather than just bring the phone in and show it around.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben, thank you for your clear and consice answer and of course I am happy and will give a very good review reflecting this I have two further questions on this matter and a third one to see if it is appropriate to ask you another question.1. I believe due to both decency and civil procedure rules my builder must write to the customer before action how long does he have to give her to pay him before court action 7 days 14 or 21?2. I have been told to keep the letter very brief, would you agree ?Do you deal with employment law?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes the customer should be given the opportunity to try and resolve this without the need for legal action. So this is done by sending them a letter before action giving them a final chance to pay before legal proceedings are commenced. No specific time limit Really I would say 10-14 days to be reasonable. Also yes, keep the letter brief and to the point. If you google ‘letter before action template’ you should see some examples. And finally yes I do specialise in employment law so if you have a query on that please post a question for my attention starting it with ‘for Ben Jones’. Many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben I would love to receive a phone call but due to the American phone number system I cannot enter my number for you to phone me on my account. How do we make contact?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi unfortunately I would not be able to do a call today as I am in and out of court and looks like the same tomorrow, I am sorry