12826847

I have a very good business colleague with whom I have a great

Customer Question

I have a very good business colleague with whom I have a great relationship and whom I have known for 40 years.(I'm male and she's female).We have been nothing more than friends...I'm happily married and she's lived with a partner for 18 years.We meet from time to time as part of the same Board and occasionally this involves an overnight...sometimes just the two of us and sometimes a number of us.
On one occasion last July,her partner joined the two of us for drinks in the bar at the end of the business day...he wasn't part of our meeting but was overnighting in the same hotel for a different reason.We had several confidential complex issues to resolve between the two of us as part of the Board discussions but because he was there,and not a member of the Board, we couldn't do this....for obvious reasons. The following day,I sent a text to her and one of the texts referred to the November meeting and the hope that it would be "without ---- this time?.He apparently looked at her Smart phone when it came through and immediately accused us of having an affair....which we emphatically are not.Worse still,he intstalled some sort of App on her phone unknown to her at first whereby all txts send to her were then transferred to his phone....isn't that illegal? Then he "hacked" into her Company computer and searched every single e.mail from me some of which would contain references to her as "dear friend" or "looking forward to seeing you again soon"...he's also accessed Company confidential information in the process.
It seems that he is now convinced that we're not having an affair...he got something right....but he seems to have gone to a lawyer,although he may be bluffing,and his partner says that he will write to the Company demanding that I apologise,for insulting him....by proxy apparently since I've never spoken to him directly,and insisting that I'm sacked as Chairman for improper use of Company internet.
The worrying aspect for me is that he has called me a pervert....I'm not..and threatened physical violence in the the presence of witnesses....More worrying is that she's terrified of his temper and what he might do to her if I take any action against him.... and from what I understand from an independent witness,her fear may well be justified.
What do I do then?
Prefer to ignore because I don't want her hurt but instinct tells me otherwise because I resent his implications
Thank you for your help.
Are the Board aware of the issues?