Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Im currently awaiting on a decision on my naturalisation

Customer Question

Im currently awaiting on a decision on my naturalisation on the basis of spouse being a UK citizen.
I would like to know if it's possible to get my parents (64 years) and brother (24 years)to the UK to live with us on permanent basis ?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Assuming you get naturalisation and become a UK citizen, there is some chance you may get your parents into the UK, if you can show they are dependent upon you. However, your brother would have to come under some other category, other than just being your brother. Your brother would have to apply for some form of visa based upon his ability for example, to invest money and provide jobs, under a Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa, or else get sponsored by some employer for work which no Eu national cando. However, in general, the UK does not allow extended family join a family member in the UK.2. As regards ***** ***** there is the right of a UK citizen, to bring dependents to the UK if you can support them without needing any help from public funds. They would need private health insurance for the first five years, so that they don't become a burden on the NHS.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
3. Be aware that you will have to show that you earn more than £18,600 per annum before you can make an application to take a dependent into the UK. You must show either that they have enough money to support themselves or that you have sufficient funds so that they don't become a burden on public funds. Be aware that in turn, your parents can become naturalised in the UK after five years continuous residence in the UK. Be aware that you could argue that your brother is dependent. But unless he had some illness, this would not cut any ice.