29905560

I need advice on having claimed an education bursary i was

I need advice on having claimed an education bursary i was initially entitled to but then after having withdrew from the course- the payments did not stop- even though I informed the institution- but foolishly because payments did not stop i continued to accept the monthly payments.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to know if there is any chance of prosecution- even though i am willing to pay back the amount initially paid. I am able to pay in installments but it will take some time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also I have no offences ad this is really only the first ting i have done like this - i am aware i should not accepted the moneyafter i was no longer entitled but i was unemployed and i suppose it was difficult to refuse
What is the sum in question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£9000 in total
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was an education bursary
Are they likely to call the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea- that is what I am asking you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I initially informed them that i was no longer entitled to the bursary but they continued payments- i am assuming that if i am willing to pay it back they will not call the police
Obviously I will not know whether they will call the police or not. It is a matter for them.
They could. As a matter of policy they may well take the view it is in the public interest. If they do then I'm afraid a prosecution is inevitable given the amount whether you repay or not.
If they do not then obviously not.
Either way, repaying would be a good idea from a mitigation point of view.
You could use the offer of repayment as a bargaining chip to avoid a prosecution.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if they do prosecute - what are the repercussions - is it a fine? or more serious?
The reason you are experiencing delay is that you keep posting before I have responded.
However, since you are displeased I will opt out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just needed to know the repercussions
I have opted out.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i would like to continue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if you have read the messages- please can you answer the last question i posed regarding repercussions of my situation
thanks
I am a moderator for the topic, not an Expert.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. Please do not reply further at this time as it will send the question back to me and you may experience further delay.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. If you are looking at the potential sentence you may get if this matter goes to court then it is likely to be a community order because it is only a change of circumstances rather than a false claim from the start and also there has been no breach of trust.
The offence does cross the custodial threshold but on a first offence a court would have to consider suspending it.
Therefore what my colleague advised was correct that making attempts to repay it would provide you with the best mitigation and hopefully avoid any of the more serious consequences mentioned.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank-you for answer. It was helpful.