Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am applying marriage visa to remain in the UK with

I am applying for a marriage visa to remain in the UK with my husband who is a British citizen. We met the financial requirements but not the maintenance with my husband's salary alone. However he had £8k in a bond account for over 2 years which he transferred
to his current account at the beginning of this month. With this we fulfil the maintenance criteria. As an evidence to this we have his bond account statement from August 2014, the statement with the interest from August 2014 to 2015 and the letter states
the transfer in the beginning of September. I also highlighted this transfer on the bank statements we provided. The guidance notes are slightly blurry on this, it states that the maintenance savings can be under the £16k provided they'd been in an accessible
account. The money has been in an accessible account for less than a month, and I'm not sure if the documents I listed above are sufficient. Could you please tell me: -if the £8k savings can be shown to support a salary for the maintenance criteria, -whether
the timing of the transfer will create a problem, -the documents listed above are sufficient in this application? Thank you for your help and time.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Firstly, the timing of the transfer from the bond account to an accessible account will not affect any determination on your marriage visa application. It is not the timing of the transfer which is important. Merely the fact that you have these monies available to you for maintenance. The documents you have listed are sufficient for the application. They more than cover the issue.2. Secondly, I should also mention that the financial requirements don't apply if your husband is receiving money for Carer's Allowance or for Disability payments. I just thought I would mention that in case it applied to you.