Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

What is the legal definition of friend and family, work have

What is the legal definition of friend and family, work have told me i have broken procedure by transacting on a friends / family account . the person i did the loan for is an ex who i had a child with 21 years ago who i never married and split up with 14 years ago. we do still leave at the property altho in different areas of the house which is divided up, we both have new partners and do not socialise at all. in fact barely speak unless its to do with a household bill, this is only thro necessity as neither of us can afford to buy a house individually.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually booked my son in with another advisor two weeks later as I classed him as family. I always thought family were people who if I died intestate for instance would be entitled to part of my estate and a friend was someone you cared about and socialised with, of which the ex is non of the above. I have told work that it is open to an individual's interpretation in that case. But they are insistent that he falls into that category! I have caused no financial lose to the company nor bad press. I simply treated someone I have nothing to do with as a customer as he is not my interpretation of a friend nor family as we never married and have been estranged for 14 years. It is however apparently ok for me to transact on a colleagues account who I also socialise with and go on holiday with twice a year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are saying its gross misconduct. My hearing is in two weeks time. I have worked for the company for ten years. Nowhere does it say on procedures that it includes someone at the same address, just friends and family. I have asked in that case could I not help someone who is renting a room who would be at the same property is a student but they declined to answer
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I get money back if I cancel, I need an answer Asap as hearing is Tuesday
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. I regret to say that anyone with whom one has a child remains a connected person and falls within the definition of friends or family whether one likes it or not. You will not successfully argue that someone with whom you shared the upbringing of a child for 21 years is not someone who falls within the definition of family and friends so far as work is concerned. Additionally, you share the same property. So I would advise you to direct your energies in a different direction if you wish to deal successfully with this allegation at work. The people you will be dealing with will have children of their own and will appreciate how much this influences their personal judgment on a day to day basis. So find some other argument if you want to defend this allegation.
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, I am dismayed that because therefore of my misinterpretation that I will lose my job in a weeks time after this week being awarded my ten year service reward. I will put my energy into looking for a new job therefore as I know that they will show no mercy regardless of what I say