Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My accountant now deceasedin2012 failed toappealabankruptcy

Customer Question

my accountant now deceasedin2012 failed toappealabankruptcy hearingin2007 my solicitors had the bankruptcy annulledin2012 at great expense to me currently my solicitors have servedawrit on a protective basis .time limit on the personel repesantivesof the late accountant .legal aid has been refused andi cannot afford their fee in advance and I understand costs if unsussfull can be enourmous. question what options do I have thanks
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. At the outset, very few people can afford to pay any lawyer their fee in advance. You would join the ranks of the very few if you could do this. Accordingly, you need to choose one of the options which most people use to pay their lawyers. The first option is a contingency fee agreement whereby a partial fee is paid or some fee plus an uplift should the case be successful. Another alternative is to give some share in the litigation to the lawyer, such as a fee plus some percentage of the recovery. Another option is to pay by instalments over a period of years, paying part as each stage of the litigation progresses. Finally, you can use some form of litigation funding whereby outside investors take a share in the litigation. A combination of these approaches can be used. So rather than feeling forlorn about your situation, you need a more realistic approach in realising that you are in the 90% who have difficulties in funding their litigation and who ultimately find a solution to their problem of finance.