12826847

Just wondering if it is worth appealing against a traffic

Customer Question

Hi, just wondering if it is worth appealing against a traffic court decision. The original fine served by the police (£100) was stupidly increased by the court to £1000 plus other charges. The story in short one night while returning home with family of two kids the traffic suddenly stopped on the motorway. My little daughter, who had been unwell, became hot and requested to go to toilet. Our home was only 5 miles from the next junction, but because of the deadlock traffic and after waiting for almost 40 minutes I drove back the motorway on the hard shoulder for 1 mile to get into the junction before. "Luckily" a police officer was there so he stopped me and took my details and let me into the junction after I explained to him our circumstances. Few days later an NIP arrived of £100 and three points which I challenged to the court. I pleaded guilty but challenged the fine and the points endorsement. Now the court's clerk sent me the decision of increasing the fine to £1000 plus 3 points. I'm very frustrated as I thought the court would be in position to listen carefully to the motorists where police wouldn't. So is it advisable to proceed with an appeal and what would be the odds of having the fine reduced again?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Was the matter set down for a long hearing or was it just a quick quickly plea and fine etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was done in a quick paper decision. I did not have to go to court ..etc. So it's likely the decision was made by the clerk as I understand.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No, it will be by a Magistrate not clerk.
I assume you contested the original fine?