How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I rented a property year 6 months. It has

Resolved Question:

I rented a property for 1 year 6 months.
It has been over 1 month since I left the property.
I extended payment on the property 3 times.
The agency has been charging me a 'wrong reference fee' of 25 to 45 pounds monthly each time I paid rent, claiming that I have not been paying my rent according to contract.
I thought I was doing the right thing, and now on trying to retrieve my bond, I had a discussion with the property manager who said he can not subtract the 'wrong reference fee' charges.
No one has bothered to call me, there was no e-mail correspondence alerting me to an incorrect charge and the company went ahead and continued to charge me monthly.
This is beyond doubt a con, intended to lure people into making mistakes.
Additionally i've sent my agency multiple emails, and call regularly. My calls are being screened. I am told the property manager is on annual leave and when I try DO get through to the manager i'm told I need to clear up my issues with the company director who is overseas in meetings and wont be back until next week tuesday or wednesday 'maybe'.
Additionally, I was charged 100 pounds for each extension to my lease, which I desperately agreed to because I had to relocate at short notice and had no time or proper understanding of the legal side of renting in London.
Additionally I was also charged 100 pounds for a late rent payment (fair enough) but again, there was no correspondence from the agency about setting up a standing order with my bank which again as a new resident in London I was not aware of.
Late payment was made on the 9th day of the month.
Please advise where it is that I stand.
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex, you've answered the question of how to go about taking the agency to court over my refund, however I would need to know if given the nature of the contract and not having the agency alert me to making a mistake in my bank transfers that they are in-fact eligible to charge me fees or whether this is a con and should not be happening. even if its written in a contract, surely there are laws protecting ignorant people such as myself from being cheated by these kinds of people.

thank you,

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No you can't be charged fees unless that was in a Contract, no mention of fees means they can't be claimed. Even if it does they must be reasonable.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Alex,

Last point of clarification.

Lets say the contract stated that there would be fees

I personally believed I was entering the information correctly according to the contract

The agency did not inform me that I was incurring charges for every transaction, certainly not for each monthly transaction for over a year.

Are there grounds for me to argue that these fees be stricken from my invoice based on the fact that I believe the agency conscientiously did not alert me to an error in my transaction reference payments?

Any professional would raise the issue when an error occurs and attempt to stop the error for posterity.. here it seems like the agency just let the fees build up until I wanted my deposit back, and then decided to charge me the wrong reference fees.

Thank you,

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice