12826847

When issued with a harassment warning does it have to have

When issued with a harassment warning does it have to have been given in writing by a police office?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just broken up with my boyfriend. We had a huge fight and there was a week of him messing with my head. He wanted me he didnt he wanted me he didnt. He sent the police to my house and they advised me not to contact him. I wasnt given any formal notice or anything to sign. Later that evening he rang me apologising and as such told me we was going to sort things out. So later that evening I contacted him to see what was happening. He then called the police and had me arrested. I was read his police statement in which he blatantly told lies and I have evidence to prove this. I have been released on bail but I am just extremely distressed and worried. I have never been in trouble at all before and I am finding this situation very stressful.

Ok.
Harassment warnings have no basis in law. They are just a police method of dealing with an allegation that avoids a prosecution. Therefore they can be issued by anybody because they have no statutory basis. They are no more than a notice that any further contact will be considered harassment.
Whether or not something can be made of the fact that he contacted you is another matter. It depends what he says about that. Harassment is all about reasonableness and I must admit that I do think it is reasonable to phone somebody back if they have phoned you but whether Magistrates will accept that so soon after the harassment warning will be another matter. S2 harassment is a very low test I'm afraid.