Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I have agreed to pay a debt back to a now x partner but have

I have agreed to pay a debt back to a now x partner but have a change of circumstances. I agreed to pay 200 pounds monthly on the 15th of each month. I now have a new job and am paid on the 28th of each month and contacted her to agree to pay it on the 28th instead. She is saying I'm in breech of agreement and threatening court action. Where do I stand legally on this
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
how much is the debt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The debt was 7000 and I agreed to pay £200 monthly on the 15th of each month and have made 3 payments so far. I have changed employer and am now paid on the 28th instead. I have agreed by email to continue payment till the debt is paid but wish it to be on my new pay day as for the first month I won't havi it to give on the 15th
Strictly speaking you are in breach of the agreement that you entered into with the ex. That said you are going to make the payments just on 28th and if she does take you to court you will be able to show to the court that you have maintained the agreement - albeit 13 days late - but that there have been regular payments - where you are making such payments it is somewhat unfair for her to take such action and she may well be criticised by the court as you are paying.