12826847

I got 2 speeding fines early hours of bank holiday Monday.

I got 2 speeding fines early hours of bank holiday Monday. One doing 57mph through m1 roadworks and one on m3 roadworks 61mph. Both were 50mph speed limit but no one was working on either roadworks. (All the way from durham- Portsmouth every roadworks there was no one working). What happens with my points/fines as I have 2 fines.
I was at the time trying to get used to cruise control on my car but forgot that every time you put foot on brake you had to reset control. No excuse I know.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just received back one notice from Northamptonshire police offering me a saw course or pay fine and get points. This was for 57mph on 50 limit. Also received one from Surrey police not offering course just fixed penalty £100 plus three points. This was for 61 in a 50. This was on my journey from Durham to Portsmouth at 01-14hrs and 02-37hrs on 31/09/15 bank holiday. There is roadworks on and off all through the journey. Not one single person was working on the roadworks as bank holiday. Would they not be lenient as no workers were in danger and roads were very quiet. Would I be allowed to do the speed awareness course to cover both fines with no points or fines? What do you suggest I do or what do you advise the best way to resolve this ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other points?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No points or convictions
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can always write back asking for the course but I'm afraid you have to be realistic.
They usually either offer it or they don't. They do not usually agree when people ask. Generally speaking they ignore representations.
If you have just received the offer then you may as well. You have twenty eight days and the worst that will happen is that they will refuse. I wouldn't rely on it though.
There could be lots of reasons for failing to offer. It probably isn't anything to do with the road works. There isn't any real judgement in the offer of these things. The police just send out standardised offers.
If this went to court then it would be an aggravating factor if there were workmen at scene but there were not and actually your speeds were not that high on either occasion.