12826847

Would a sentence from a UK court crime committed in the

Customer Question

Would a sentence from a UK court for a crime committed in the UK, be consecutive or concurrent to the sentence remaining on a prisoner transfer treaty from Thailand?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A prisoner in Thailand is expecting to return to the UK in the next year or so, under the Prisoner Transfer Treaty, to serve part of the remainder of the Thai sentence. On return, it is expected that the UK courts will hand down a custodial sentence for a crime (drugs) committed prior to leaving the UK. Will this sentence be concurrent to the remainder of the Thai sentence?
As far as I can see there is no jurisdiction to levy a concurrent sentence. The Uk Courts did not levy the sentence in Thailand and has no jurisdiction over it save for very rare exceptions like indeterminate sentences.
Therefore the UK courts can only sentence when the person in question is placed before them and time in custody would beging to run from that date.
To make a consecutive sentence would imply there was jurisdiction over the trigger sentence.
If it arose from the same course of conduct normally it would only attract a consecutive sentence anyway.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, thank you very much. Clear and concise!
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.