Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My Son who's 27 years old has ILR 10 years; he's be

Customer Question

My Son who's 27 years old has ILR for over 10 years; he's been staying In Russia with his fiancée for 9 months during year 2014, then came back to the UK for 3 months; now this year it's the same situation - he's been staying in Russia for 9 months and planning on coming back to the UK for 3 months. My concern is whether there is a possibility of him being stopped and questioned by Immigration Service at the airport, or refused entry altogether?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Indefinite leave to remain gives the holder of the visa the right to reside in the UK without time restrictions. It means your son can stay in the UK indefinitely. Your son, however, will lose this indefinite leave to remain if he spends more than 2 years outside the UK without returning there. However, only spending 3 months in the UK each year does not mean that he will lose his right of settlement, which ILR gives, in the UK. However, what your son should be considering is how he may seek naturalisation and obtain a British passport (and dual nationality) which means that all of these visa issues disappear.