13262538

We are currently going through the probate process, with just

We are currently going through the probate process, with just one executor. However, some of the beneficiaries are under 18 and are entitled to £500 each. I am now reading online that two people must apply for a grant of probate if a Beneficary is under 18? Is this correct?
HINo that is not correct.If there is only one Executor named in the Will then that is the person who obtains Probate.However if a Trust account is created then it is sometimes wise to appoint a second TrusteeHowever in this case the individual amounts are such that it should not be necessaryPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you - but on the Probate application form itself it does say that two are required if the estate is going to an under 18 year old? Can you clarify this further?
Which form are you referring to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On form PA2 on the Probate website - page 3: http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/pa002-eng.pdf
That would only apply if more than one Executor (still living) was named in the Will but only one was applying for Probate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Two are listed in the will - however one has Power Reserved on the probate application as she is unwell at the moment?
What was the result
Sorry that was a site glitchHow unwell is she (sorry to have to ask)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well probate was granted - but I'm just reading online that maybe is was granted in error if there should have been two executors and I am worried that in the future they could say it was an invalid probate?
And she is in and out of hospital - still fully mentally capable but struggling with walking etc
No it was not granted in errorYes it is advisable - no it is not mandatory!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - sorry to ask but it does say on that document that it is a legal requirement for two to apply?
What was the overall percentage division of the assets?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£500 for each grandchild (10 in total) - then the rest to the four daughters/sons (£13500 each)?
The Probate Registry has the power to use its discretion in this matter.Has one minor beneficiary inherited a larger estate then they may well have required medical evidence that the other Executor was not fitenough to deal with the matter - although they still cannot insist a replacement is soughtGiven that these were minor gifts then they certainly would not have made that requirement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brilliant - thank you for your advice. Excellent