12826847

If I and my dog have been bitten by a dog and I hit it on its

If I and my dog have been bitten by a dog and I hit it on its flank to protect myself when it makes to aggressive us on a walk and its own owner throws a log at it to try to divert it am I in the wrong if the owner has just arrived claiming that I have caused it spinal damage. I DID NOT hit it repeatedly but just once and it was on its flank not back?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I register this with my solicitor or just forget about it. The locals around here all steer clear of this man and he has tried to get compensation from a few in the past for different things but I just wonder if he might come after me for compensation and if so would it have been sensible to let any particular bodies know about it in advance.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, he could do that. Some people do make a career out of it.
You don't really prevent a claim by reporting it yourself though. Make a note of what happened in detail. Take photographs of any injuries you or your dog suffered.
However, if you go right back to basics, the questions are these. Firstly, why you struck this dog. It is one thing to strike a dog to make it release it's grip on either you or your dog. It is another to do it out of frustration. If the latter then that is unlawful I'm afraid. Secondly though, even if you did act out of frustration, what damage has that caused. One blow with a hand is not going to cause spinal injury. We have all struck our dogs in those circumstances. It is easy for him to make these allegations but if he is going to court he is going to have to prove them which will mean producing vet's bills and attributing the matter to your actions. Usually that puts pay to the professional victim.
One way forward is to say that you will consider the claim if he produces vet's bills and a report from the vet covering the likely cause. Usually that changes their view of the matter.
I suppose the only other thing he could do is make a report to the RSPCA but there is no benefit in that for him as he wont' get compensation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, thank you. You have been most helpful.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.