12826847

Could I incriminate myself if I hand over video evidence of

Customer Question

Could I incriminate myself if I hand over video evidence of my neighbours harassment of me, can they demand me to give it to them ?
THanks *****
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told by the police that I could video th bullying gang in my street harrassing me - one of the neighourhood officers has asked to see the footage of an incident occurring a few days ago - I normally hand in photos not video footage even though I have quite alot of videos of them
Now they wish to see them - could the police incriminate me as part of harassment of them or a neighbourhood disputeThanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or are they just collecting evidence for a case no officer has explained anything to me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, it could be either.
There is an argument that having cameras pointed solely at one house or following a person around with a camera is harassment. My own personal view is that it depends how visible the camera is. You can get very discreet ones now and I cannot see how it is possible to harass if your target doesn't know the camera is there.
Also, you gather much more colourful footage if the target doesn't know it is there.
If he has asked about a specific incident then he is probably evidence gathering for that incident but there can't be any guarantees.
I would give to them though. They will only seize it if you don't. They may seize it anyway. They do have power. At least if you co-operate though they are less likely to fail to co-operate.