75100385

I was a director of a limited company which went into

I was a director of a limited company which went into voluntary liquidation in 2008. I accepted an undertaking in 2010 not to be a director for 6 years which will expire next year. In the meantime under the insolvency act are people allowed to print things
about me and my previous business making claims that I am a crook? I have been helping my Fathers firm and a competitor has been sending out anonymous letters to my fathers clients saying I was banned, lost clients money and am the 'estate agent from hell'
and am a crook. I have finally found out who it is and wondered what we can do about it
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
No people are not. They can sends things to people saying you have agreed not to be a Director until 2016 for example, but anything sent MUST be true and accurate. If not then potentially you can seek an injunction and even damages if you can show you have suffered serious harm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex. Thank you. They are trying to be clever by using snippets of information that is factual. But the fact is this person has gone too far suggesting I am the estate agent from hell and am a crook. Also there are inaccuracies in what they have said. Is this a matter I need to take up with a solicitor or is it a criminal offence under insolvency law for example and I need to speak with the Police? Thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its not criminal offence, but it may be an actionable matter under the Defamation Act 2013.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so. I suppose I need to go to the Police with the document they are sending out to see what they say. I doubt they will be interested but at least I can ask. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Indeed. Good luck with this.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/