How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10525
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am a British Citizen and my wife is a non-EEA citizen; On

Resolved Question:

I am a British Citizen and my wife is a non-EEA citizen; On appeal the Home Office has granted Residence Documentation (Type of Document: Derivative Residence Card.) The Residence Document is valid for 5 years until 07/2020. IS MY WIFE SUBJECT TO IMMIGRATION CONTROL? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes, your wife is subject to immigration control as she hasn't got a right of settlement which "Indefinite Leave to REmain" would give her. However, after 3 years living in the UK with you, your wife can apply for both settlement and naturalisation as a citizen with a British passport, as the spouse of a British national can apply for citizenship after 3 years living in the UK with their spouse.
Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My wife's Residence Documentation makes no reference about recourse [or not] to Public Funds; the only 'Remarks' are: 'Employment & Business Activities Allowed'. DOES MY WIFE HAVE ACCESS / RECOURSE TO 'PUBLIC FUNDS'?