13262538

The executors to my late mothers will were planning on

The executors to my late mothers will were planning on paying for a memorial stone for the grave out of the estate. My brother and sisters have said that as a memorial is not considered to be an essential cost of the cremation and subsequent burial of
ashes in the family the grave the funding cannot be taken from the estate without the express permission of all of the beneficiaries and that they are not prepared to give that permission. This means that we are at an impasse as the other beneficiary and I
are happy to give our permission. Are they right? If they are right, would they have any legal say in the memorial stone if it were paid for privately, without estate money?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youIn fact it is up to the Executors to decide whether or not there is a Headstone - and if they decide there shouldbe one then they can pay for it from the EstateThe other beneficiaries can try and challenge this but the costs would be prohibitive - and borne by the estateAlternatively there is no reason why two beneficiaries should not take over the matterClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clare,
Thank you for your response. Just to Clarify, The memorial will be a stone laid on top of the grave rather than a headstone, in tradition with other family memorials. I assume this makes no difference.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No it makes no difference.