Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have a question in relation to phone bugging and/or placing

I have a question in relation to phone bugging and/or placing a covert recording device in my car by my ex wife 5 years ago. She made covert recordings over 2-3 months and is now threatening to play them to our children…. please help.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Legally speaking you are not allowed to record some one without their consent in a place where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. The only problem you have here is the damage she will cause by playing these recordings presumably has no legal remedy as it effects your relationship. The only action you can feesibly take is to seek an injunction against her. What exactly is she trying to get you to do? Is she trying to blackmail you? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, in short Yes, if I don't pay XYZ then she's threatening to play the tapes to the children. As you can imagine, my relationship with them is paramount and its not the first time I have been blackmailed by her, last time I gave her £2500 and I vowed it would be the last. In short, if I shut my mouth, question nothing and be a good boy then all is well, otherwise if I step out of line and raise an objection then guess what.We were in court in Jan to change a consent order as I couldn't afford the maintenance payment of 2.5k for the kids and 1k spousal maintenance. Its now been reduced to £1.5k and to be fair, I was recently made redundant and am struggling with the payments. I owe £750 from last month and this month is due, I can clear it all by the end of the month, thats not the issue - her attitude is that pay up or I release the tapes, blah blah blah….I know whats on the tapes as she had them all transposed for our divorce and admitted them as evidence, to be fair I was talking innapropriately to another female, as you can imagine, I don't want this released as its not ideal. She is also threatening to send them to my partner - we live together and my partner is battling ovarian cancer, you can imagine what I'm up against. I travel on average 400 miles per week to be with the boys, various trips back and for and speak to them every day - they are my life! I need to shut this woman up once and for all. Please help.Sorry about the lengthy reply…..!Jonathan
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. Has she ever contacted you and tried to make these demands in writing? Realistically the only thing you can do is either complain to the police or obtain an injunction against her. The alternative, and I know this is not necessarily the solution you want to hear, is to own up to your children and partner and take the power away from her. This will quickly turn her to be the villain if it is known that she was blackmailing you? Especially if you can get it in writing? Could you not say to your partner and children that you said some things you regret, made a mistake and leave it to them to decide if they still want to listen to it. At the end of the day, until you take control of the situation, and whilst that tape hangs around, the damage it causes will always be incapable of remedy. If you injunct her or take it to the police she is probably still going to release it. If she things she can get money from you, she will always use it against you. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but even with the law on your side, you cannot stop the will of a malicious person. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex, she has said it in text, which I have a copy of…… basically it reads "Maybee I should show them and let them listen to a few things…? then they would know what kind of a person their dad really is? Maybee I should send them to Lowri (my partner) too so she can see what your really like? I don't think they will stick around for long either?"I can't put someone going through cancer treatment through more heartache, the same for my children…. If I went to the Police, what action would they take? If I take an injunction - whilst it doesn't actually stop her doing it, legally she's then breaking the law? Thoughts, Suggestions…… Sorry for the questions…… but as you can see, Im dealing with a class act here!JB
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. As you have the text message, they could take the view that this is blackmail and which is a criminal offence. If she breached the injunction she could face prison as this is contempt of court. I really see the predicament you are in, but unfortunately without physically getting the recording from her, ask yourself is the threat of prison enough to stop her doing this maliciously? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alex - would the Police take this allegation seriously, or simply brush it under the carpet ? I don't want to waste my time at a police station and end up looking like a numptie if you know what I mean……..? Thanks.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
They would list to your complaint and certainly log it, but whether they take is seriously or not depends on the evidence you. For example the text message clearly shows something untoward. What you need to demonstrate is that this was simply being done for financial gain.
AJ
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Can I assist you any further? In the mean time any feedback is gratefully received. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE