75100385

In 2012 I fitted a shower room client. Several months

In 2012 I fitted a shower room for a client. Several months later a small leak developed which I traced to the riser hose connection. I fixed this which also involved replacing a wall panel for marine ply and replacing some tiles. The fix was successful.
In 2015 the shower valve developed another leak from the inlet compression joints to the valve. The client never informed me of the problem. Instead he called in another company to take the valve out of the wall and replace it with a surface mounted valve.
When the repair was complete he called me and informed me that he had had a leak from the valve and that he had had it repaired by another company and that he would like me to pay their bill for £1100.
I told him that his warranty was with me and that I would have been happy to do the repair. I asked why he had not informed me of the problem. I also asked if he had taken any photos. He said he had not taken any photos and that he had lost faith in my work, even though I had repaired the previous leak. He has had previous problems in the house with leaks due to high water pressure he informed me.
Do you feel I should pay this bill he has run up with the other plumbers?
Many thanks for your help.
Nick Davies
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
The client has failed to mitigate their loss. They did not need to incur it as could have let you do the repair, they did not and therefore it was not necessary to incur the £1,100
As such you do not need to pay it, if they take you to court you can defend it on the basis the client failed to mitigate the loss as you would have done it for free and therefore not incurred any cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help Alex. I think I will let them take me to court then. If I need anyone to fight my side in court I'll contact you.

Nick

Good luck Nick
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.