75100385

I have a question about what we can do to get invoices

Hi, I have a question about what we can do to get invoices we have submitted paid by th company my husband contracts for.
My husband, Andrew is a Senior Authorised Person on the high voltage network/national grid.
He has his own business (ADHV Ltd) he is the only employee other than myself who acts as company secretary.
The part of the grid that he is allowed to work on is owned by UK Power Networks. (UKPN) They then employ smaller companies to carry out repairs on the network. One of these companies is High Voltage Maintenance Services Ltd (HVMS)
HVMS in turn then employ my husband to work with their own employees and other contractors in teams to carry out repairs for UKPN
My husband's role is to switch out the network in order for it to be safe for others to work on. Once the work is complete he then switches the power back on.
HVMS were given several locations where repairs needed to be carried out. They gave my husband several 'jobs' As a general rule this involves attending site one day as an investigative visit, completing paperwork another and then at an agreed date or dates the team will attend to carry out the repair. Andrew will then often be required to attend site again to commission certain pieces of equipment once they have been repaired or replaced.
My husband charges a daily rate in the region if £500 and after his initial visit will inform HVMS how much his charges are dependent on the size of the job and how many days it will take to complete. This whole process possibly takes around 6 weeks from start to finish and HVMS asked if he could submit a bill once the jobs were complete as opposed to charging after each site visit or each day completing paperwork etc, as this was easier for them for admin purposes.
This system worked quite well and we didn't mind waiting until the end of a project as they were reasonably prompt at payment once the invoice was submitted.
Around the beginning of June UKPN announced that they had run over budget and had suspended all works with immediate effect with the exception of a couple of projects that were almost complete. They have given no indication of when the projects will commence again.
Andrew had around 6 jobs cancelled where he had already spent time on site visits and completing paperwork, so when we were told that the work had been cancelled we invoiced for the preparatory work he had completed up until that point. HVMS however have not paid for these invoices dating back to June and are vaguely saying that they are in talks with UKPN reference payment to them. We have been told that we will receive an update several times but have heard nothing. We are not sure what these updates actually refer to but reading between the lines we believe that UKPN do not wish to pay for any preparatory works and as such HVMS do not wish to pay us. this is just supposition though. Andrew has completed works at HVMS instruction and can provide strong evidence of this. We are also awaiting for 3 purchase orders for works he has completed so we can invoice for these also. We were told that we would receive these back in July but we have nothing as yet.
The amount invoiced and outstanding is £4,400 the value of the purchase orders we are waiting for is £1,650
How can we pursue payment of this debt? We have emailed and called many times but no effect.
If we need to employ a solicitor can we recover this cost from them too?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/