ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

My company was recently a defendant in a case over a claim

My company was recently a defendant in a case over a claim of £4000.00. I attended the county court on the day and as the Claimant did not attend and in the words of the Judge " I cannot see a case here anyway" the Judge struck out the claim and I left the court.
I have then received a letter from the court 10 days later requiring me to attend the hearing again on the grounds that the claimant having been at court when case commenced but not having been informed case called on. The claimant having subsequent to the dismissal appeared in the absence of the defendant and having confirmed that he had been present outside the hearing room but had not been notified, and upon the court confirming that its earlier order was made in error was not drawn up and was of no effect.
Is this lawful and normal? I was there judgment was made and I left? Any advice please.
The court can where there has technically been no hearing allow for the rehearing of a case on its own motion where it considers that it has erred itself. It is very frustrating but it can and does happen. Please rate positive.