29905560

I believe that I am being verbally abused and threatened in

I believe that I am being verbally abused and threatened in my work place. Am I entitled to make an audio recording of these abusive and threatening conversations with this specific colleague without his consent?
And specifically which Law or rule covers my right to do so.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for and how exactly are you being abused?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have worked there for 1 year and 9 months. This colleague is swearing at me. And telling me he is going to "Do me in" and "Do you want to go and do it now". "Come and see me after work Coz I've got a nice little present for you little C" "Calling me "F" and "C". His tone of voice is aggressive and sometimes at shouting level.
It is not illegal to make secret recordings of people, such as in a workplace situation. I have dealt with many cases where the evidence is a recording which was made covertly, and this is often used in cases of bullying where only the victim and the bully are present.
What you need to be careful about is whether there are any specific rules prohibiting recordings in the workplace because then you will be breaching a specific workplace policy so you would need your employer’s permission. Also you should try and not record personal information about others but in this case that is unlikely to happen.
And just to clarify it is not a specific law which allows you to do this, rather the opposite – there are no specific laws which say you cannot do that.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Ben. Many people are quoting articles 8 and 10 of the Human Rights Act as covering this specific law.

I can't believe that the law can not be more definitive on this issue.

Thanks for your advice though.

best wishes

Martin Johnson

The Human Rights Act would not apply here - it is there to grant individuals certain rights and protection from the activists of public authorities/organisations. So for example if you worked for a public authority and they decided to secretly record this other person then that could be a breach of human rights. But it would not apply if you were throne who decided to do this privately to gather evidence for your own situation.
If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you