12826847

My Aunt has a Will and my husband and I are the

Customer Question

Hi My Aunt has a Will and my husband and I are the Executors. My aunt was born in and has domicile of origin in England. She has however lived in Italy for many years and is now considered domicile there. My question is this. She has property in the UK as well as Italy. The will refers to her ''assets in England and Wales'' As far as myself and the family understand, this is the only Will. My Aunt now has dementia and is in frail health. Would the Will stand as intended, or would the rules of Inheritance which apply in Italy, override any wishes expressed in the Will she wrote in England in 2008, when in good health?

I have also read about new trans border inheritance rule changes and that you can indicate you want the Will to follow the rules of your birth country. Would this be the case with my aunt. This is shown by the fact she wrote the Will in England when in good health and has not written any other Will. Now she has dementia she will never write another Will.

Kind regards, ***** *****