12826847

We have been supporting a friend who comes from Zimbabwe, who

We have been supporting a friend who comes from Zimbabwe, who has been living in the UK for the last 7 years, seeking asylum. She has always been open and honest with the authorities about her location and has always reported when requested.
Recently the Home Office has informed her that she should prepare to be sent back to Zimbabwe, and she is working with a solicitor who has recently submitted an appeal against this decision. We are unable to contact this solicitor this evening.
This afternoon she was taken into custody by the local Ipswich police, and is currently in a cell in Suffolk Police HQ, at Martlesham. We believe she is being held on the advice of the Home Office.
We want to know on what basis the police are able to just take her into custody? We think this is an entirely heavy handed and unnecessary way to treat this very kind and well-behaved young lady
We are prepared to act as guarantors that she will attend at a police station.
John & Kate Helleur
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, immigration authorities do use police stations to detain people. They have done for years because they don't have their own holding cells.
I'm really sorry but if there are immigration issues they are not going to bail her. If she is here unlawfully then there is no prospect of bail whether you raise a surety or not. You have to be realistic. It is not going to happen I'm afraid. It almost never does. I don't think I have ever got bail for anybody on immigration offences. The fear that they will fail to surrender to court is just too great Im afraid.
I'm very sorry but that is your position I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does that mean that she is likely to continue to be detained until she is put on a plane, even if an appeal has been lodged??

John

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but it is likely that would happen I'm afraid.