Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I'm a HR Director signed off work with work related stress

Hi. I'm a HR Director signed off work with work related stress from personal insults and bullying from Principal. I attended a welfare meeting and I disclosed the reasons confidentially. The person doing the welfare meeting has now disclosed what I said to the Chairman and I'm being forced to take a grievance and take part in an investigation. Can they do this?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Are you saying you do not want to raise a grievance about your treatment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't want to raise if formally. I want informal and mediation. This is the Isle of Wight and the CEO and Chair are cosy. I have little chance of objectivity.
I've been off for 2 weeks and I've had emails and letters everyday from the employer. I had 3 yesterday. I'm being forced to formal and I didn't even write the grievances.
I am being bullied by the CEO via false allegations all disproven by me I won't get another job on the Island that is comparable but I feel I'm being pushed out.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
I can understand where you are coming from, however in the event that you have raised an allegation that would amount to a grievance the employer is entitled to treat it as such. This is particularly the case where you have alleged something that could amount to a breach of the duty to care for your health and safety and could give rise to a claim in the event it is not dealt with correctly by the employer.
You can say that it is not your intention to raise a formal grievance but if they are investigating the allegation of bullying if you do not cooperate then this could result in action being taken against you.
If you are too ill to deal with this at the moment you should tell your employer that the investigation at this time is affecting your health.
It is difficult to see a way round this owing to the duty of care on the employer to investigate an allegation.
I am sorry that this is the case.
If you have any further questions please do ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. My return to work GP note says I should have minimal exposure to stress. Is it reasonable therefore to ask for a few weeks to elapse before I engage in the process?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Yes it certainly is.
I would suggest you raise this as a matter of urgency. Your employer might want medical evidence and you should cooperate if they ask for it.
If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.