75100385

I have just been told by Student Loans Company that

Hello, I have just been told by Student Loans Company that I owe them £172.48 for overpayment of a maintenance loan I received when studying in 2012. I only stayed on the course for 2 months (long story). I repaid £720 in February 2013 when requested. Is it legal for this company to now be producing a new bill out of the blue 3 years later and which neither of the staff mentioned to me when I contacted them recently about something else?
Best Regards
Catherine
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello Catherine my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Do you accept their calculation is correct please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have no way of knowing if it is correct. I paid the £720 in 2013 in full as this was the only bill they sent me with no indication that there would be further bills. They told me this was the amount of the overpayment.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - you can ask for a breakdown and calculation. But they do have 6 years from the date the payment was due in which to claim it.
But you need to be satisfied it is correct and owing, so you should ask for a breakdown and calculation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.