How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10527
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Argument over Boundary line, there's 'a strip of Patios' line

Resolved Question:

Argument over Boundary line, there's 'a strip of Patios' line between next door's driveway and my front garden, the next door garden fence is stand at the middle in front of the first patio.
Before I bought the house I did question about who own that strip of land, and the previous owner told me that's belong to this property. At first there is no problem arise, however, after next door changed the use of the property to a rental resident house, the new tenant park their car on that strip of Patios, so I removed that strip of patios and planning to put up the fence to separate my garden from next door driveway. Then next door proprietor send me a letter ( from a chartered surveyor) claim that the whole strip of patios is belong to her side no need to put up fence, that strip of patios is the boundary line.
I really want to know how to find out the true boundary line of my property, and what I need to do now ? [ note : For I am a Chinese , and English is my second language, and also don't have any knowledge about the laws of this country !]
Best regard
Joan Lau of 7 Ilsley Close, Upton, Wirral, Merseyside, CH49 6PX
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Joan, you need to look at the title to the property in the Land Registry and see where the boundary line runs. The Folio in the Land Registry will have a map from the Ordnance Survey attached and you will be able to see clearly whether this patio area is included in your land or your neighbour's land. Here is a link to the Land Registry portal where you can carry out a search!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/
Be aware that there are additionally professional search agencies who will carry out the search for you for a fee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already got my Title Plan, anyway thanks for your answer.

Best regard.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Dear Joan, if you already have your Title Plan and it is not clear from it where the boundary lies, then I suggest you get in a surveyor to survey the area and to establish the boundary. The costs of surveying the property to determine the exact boundary can be shared, by agreement, with your neighbour, so the current issue over the boundary can be resolved. Otherwise, the problem might escalate. I would even suggest it is worthwhile getting it done for your own sake so as to satisfy yourself where the exact boundary lies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where I go to find a surveyor, and what kinds of surveyor I need ?

I need to go to find a solicitor first or go to a surveyor first ? Also how to find the right solicitor?

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Dear Joan, a building surveyor who knows about boundaries and who uses location surveying. You should get a surveyor first. There is no need for a solicitor. You will only need a solicitor if there is an actual legal dispute about the boundary. Until you know exactly where the boundary should be, no legal adviser can help you. They will only tell you to get a survey done to determine the exact location of the boundary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where I can look for a building surveyor?

I really appreciate for your help!

Thank you very much.Laughing

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. Dear Joan, you should get a chartered surveyor from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors to survey the property. Here is a link to their website and the issue of boundary disputes You can find a surveyor here and get them to survey the boundary line. Please RATE the Answer as this is necessary in order that your Expert receives a share of the monies you have deposited with the website.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
5. Use the "Find a Surveyor" link to get a surveyor near you and read the guide on boundary disputes.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions