12826847

My name is ***** ***** was set trial of my

Customer Question

Hi, my name is Steven.
A date was set for the trial of my son's father-in-law for 21/09/2015.
Provision was made for my wife and me to travel from our home in Eire to take care of our grandchildren and stay with my sister-in-law until the trial was over.
My son and his wife provided the finance ( via a loan ) for our travelling expenses which they can ill afford.
My daughter -in- law is a carer and had to take a week,s unpaid leave.
The trial dates were changed every day since it's arranged date and have now been postponed until December because the defendant" has a bad back" and cannot attend court.
My son is very stressed and in debt due to this.
Is there any way in which he can recoup these expenses immediately or will they be included after the trial ? and whom would he have to contact for said compensation ?
This situation may well happen again.
My daughter-in-law's father is accused of 19 sex charges against his family including 2 of my grandchildren. He is Remanded in Custody.
Can you please advise
Steven
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nicola,Sorry for the delay, but I had a virus on my laptop, which has now been removed.I would like you to continue you're search if that's ok with you.Best regards,
Steven.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo.Simply put, are there facilities put in place for my son to recoup his expenditures in provision to attend Court when a Trial Date was given, then postponed ? .His out of pocket cost's ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is as a witness for the prosecution.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends but probably not.
The witnesses do have a claim for the cost of travelling to court and that is honoured even if the trial was not effective as long as they did actually attend.
If you are saying that there were additional expenses to that then they cannot be recovered I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In this scenario, My wife and me live in The Irish Republic and are the only persons that their children feel secure with for any length of time.
Neither my son or me had the funds to facilitate this, so both he and I had to borrow money which we can ill afford.This scenario may happen time and time again which put's tremendous strain on the victims and witnesses both mentally and of course financially.I find it difficult to understand why no provision is made for this situation, as it must apply to many cases yet has not been challenged by any institution.Is there provision to claim these expenses after the Trial Verdict if found guilty ?
Can a civil suite against the Defendant, if found guilty, be made for recompense ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's getting late now for me so I will have to bid you goodnight.
Will look forward to your comment's later.Best regards,Steven.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.
No, there is no provision in any circumstances save for the costs of the witness travelling to court which will be provided whether or not the trial was effective.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response Joe.Best regardsSteven
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.

All the best.