Yes I have a written contract -
there is a clause called Discontinuance of Publication which gives the Publisher the right at his total discretion to discontinue with the publication of the book
But there is otherwise no termination clause
There is a clause called Production Programme
which gives the publisher 290 working days to produce the work in the Publishers edition
This clause does not specify what type of interaction the author is supposed to have with the publisher during this period.
There is a second clause which refers to the publishers pre-publishing responsibility which states the Publisher has to provide the Author with a copy of the edited manuscript for proofreading
The contract says a total fee of 2300£ is payable - their offer to pay in installments came in different documentation
on 29th of June I was offered to pay in 3 installments but there was no specification of what the Publisher had to do in between the 3 installments falling due
There were a couple of phonecalls with a lady called Dasiy Wilson Sub Editor, who also contacted me initially by email April 2015, prior to me signing the contract who said that there would be a personal editor assigned and he would be in contact with me to discuss editorial changes to the manuscript, and in general work with me but no time frame for this was offered.
12 of June I was contacted by ***** ***** Production Coordinator who told me that the production department would now deal with my work. The email implies high standards of editing and a lot of time and imput on their part. They will need to co-operate with me fully in this process and there may be a few weeks between updates. Loads of emails until I paid first installment on the 26 June. Since then noone came back to me unless I chased them, except for the accounts department reminding me of future installments due and invoices.
Tom Haynes has been in touch with me for the second time via email (1st September) and claimed that he is working on layouts and editing of my book. In this most recent email he says that when finished he will send the book for my approval. This approach concerned me and I started to check on blogs what the experiences other people had with this publisher. When i consulted writers blogs, it seems that for the unknown authors they sign up this way they simply just put the manuscript thought a desk top soft ware and put it out as the final publishing copy i.e. no work at all. Hence my concern about progressing with the contract.
Ideally I would like to terminate this contract and look to have my book published elsewhere is there any way I can do that?
Would a way forward be to ask for a specific outline of editorial and promotional services which are going to be provided?
Should the publisher be given a 1 week timeframe to provide this outline?
Once either confirmation is received of a very limited service propositon contrasting with the on the website and verbal proposed service or no outline is received would it then be correct to proceed to claim misrepresentation and send a letter outlining the misrepresentation and thus my decision to terminate the contract?
Does the publisher need to be given a chance to defend their service?
No at this stage until they reply to an email I will send today there is nothing further