How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10537
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I hold a current EU passport that states I am a British citizen.

Resolved Question:

I hold a current EU passport that states I am a British citizen. (I was born in the U.S. and still live here, but my father was born in London in 1913, and in 1991 I applied for British citizenship and got it.) I am of retirement age, and collecting Social Security. What paperwork or restrictions would I encounter if I wished to permanently relocate to the UK?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. As you have British citizenship, you will not face any hurdles should you wish to relocate and live in the Uk. If you wish to claim a pension in the UK, this is based upon contributions if you have worked here. Here is a link to the pension calculator Access to healthcare and the NHS is based upon residency. If you are living in the UK AND a British citizen, you can access the NHS. Residency can be acquired as a British citizen after six weeks to three months living in the UK. You will also qualify to seek social housing after living in an area of a local authority for a period of time. There is a waiting list, but wait times are high in London but much smaller in rural areas of Northern England.
2. If you have any particular queries, I will be happy to help. Be aware that your British citizenship allows you to live and travel to the other countries in the EU. This may however be subject to certain conditions.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you