12826847

HMO

Customer Question

I am considering buying a flat in a grade II listed building. It is 1 of 4 self contained flats converted in 1980. There is a mix of owner / tenanted flats. My understanding is that if the 1991 building regs are not met then if the ratio of tenanted flats exceeds 1/3 the whole building becomes an (unlicensed) HMO. The vendor says its not a licensed HMO and doesnt need to be. What are the consequences of being an unlicensed s257 HMO ? i.e. what legislation / in practice would I need to comply with to meet the HMO requirements - is it the 1991 regs and/or something else as well ?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The flat is in central Bristol and potentially subject to the local authority planning regimes re: HMO's there - if that helps.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I have now found my answer - thanks for looking.