12826847

Is it legal in England UK own daughter who has not

Customer Question

Is it legal in England UK for our own daughter who has not contacted or spoken to us for 24 years, and without our knowledge has been employed at our local doctors surgery (who we have been with for over 70 years) to read our private medical notes without our consent?
Her name was in a printed compilation of medical notes received by us.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What does she do for them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo,
Our estranged daughter seems to be a receptionist at the surgery and it was a shock to both myself and my paraplegic husband to read her name on our very personal medical notes that were given to us after a serious medical crisis had occurred in our lives.
The surgeries receptionists answer telephone calls, make appointments, issue prescriptions that have to be collected, and receive labelled samples for hospital testing which they also deal with the results of.
When answering their telephones, which sometimes sometimes involves asking why we need to see a doctor! when making an appointment, they no longer give their names over the phone so you don't know who you are speaking to........ We feel this situation is not ethical. But, is it legal?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid it is not illegal. Ultimately she was employed by them legitimately. There are prohibitions upon treating family members but she doesn't do that as she is an admin worker. It might be worth a complaint to the GMC as they did employ her but I'm afraid I could not guarantee the outcome. They have to employ within a local area. Within a local area there will be people who are related to patients.I'm very sorry if that is bad news.Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo for your fast reply to my question. I am very pleased with your explanation and detailed answer.
At least I and my husband now know it is legal, but a very grey area.
So I will ponder about taking the GMC avenue as we no longer have a Northamptonshire County medical advice/complaint bureau in Weston Favell.
Both of us are very pleased with this service web site.
Regards,
Nona
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. All the best. Please remember to rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo C for your recent answer to my legal problem, I thought it might be a grey

area but was very pleased with the answer you gave me. I did leave you good feedback

and I know if in the future if I need legal advice, to return to just answer.co.uk

Regards,

Nona
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.

All the best.