75100385

If you are "caught" by a speeding camera while towing and the

Customer Question

If you are "caught" by a speeding camera while towing and the camera cannot make out the identity of the alleged towing vehicle (make, model and registration) on the photo, how can the NIP valid if the towing vehicle cannot be positively identified?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Were you towing? Was it your vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,I am waiting for the photos from the camera unit, but if the reg. on the towing vehicle cannot be seen, my question is how can there be "proof" of the identity of it? and thus how can the NIP be valid?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
How can you be sent an NIP if they can't see your plate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There would be a plate on the towed vehicle. How could they prove it was my car towing it if they could not see the plate on the towed vehicle.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
That is because the law says that you must display a plate. If you are suggesting someone else used your plate then you need to say it was not you and it is a fraud.
The matter would then be investigated by the Police. But if they check and you did drive the vehicle with the trailer then you risk perverting the course of justice proceedings. At this stage you are being asked if it is you. If it is then you should agree. If it was not then you should say so and the reasons why - the Police will then investigate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah, so police etc. do not have to prove guilt anymore. I will wait to see the photos and the details of the alleged speed.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its just the NIP at this stage - the conviction is a separate matter, but if it was you, I would be very wary about saying its a fraud.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not talking about fraud! I am talking about the police (or whoever) providing proof. Many Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes indeed. They have to show that it was you beyond doubt if you contest it and it goes to Court.