Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a South African citizen that's is applying

I am a South African citizen that's is applying for indefinite leave to remain in the UK in December. My partner and I want to buy a house do my question is twofold:
1) can I buy a house here?
2) can I bring around £40,000 into England from South Africa?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. The answer to both questions is yes!. Firstly, you can buy a house as a foreign national in the UK. There is no restriction because you are South African. In fact, there is no restriction on foreign ownership of property in the UK. Secondly, you can bring money into the UK without it being taxed. This is because there is both a Tax Treaty and Money Laundering requirements in place in South Africa, so there are no restrictions upon bringing money from South Africa into the UK. You may have to sign a money laundering declaration but that will be the extent of it. Otherwise, you can bring your funds in as you wish by bank transfer.