How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10536
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am a South African citizen that's is applying

Resolved Question:

I am a South African citizen that's is applying for indefinite leave to remain in the UK in December. My partner and I want to buy a house do my question is twofold:
1) can I buy a house here?
2) can I bring around £40,000 into England from South Africa?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. The answer to both questions is yes!. Firstly, you can buy a house as a foreign national in the UK. There is no restriction because you are South African. In fact, there is no restriction on foreign ownership of property in the UK. Secondly, you can bring money into the UK without it being taxed. This is because there is both a Tax Treaty and Money Laundering requirements in place in South Africa, so there are no restrictions upon bringing money from South Africa into the UK. You may have to sign a money laundering declaration but that will be the extent of it. Otherwise, you can bring your funds in as you wish by bank transfer.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you