Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

My Mother was left an inheritance by her Sister, as set out

Customer Question

My Mother was left an inheritance by her Sister, as set out in her will. My Mother died three years before her Sister. My Aunt did not change her will after my Mother's death so does the inheritance revert to myself and my brother or does it go back in to the Estate of my Aunt?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Where the beneficiary of a gift predeceases the testator then as a general rule the gift will fail or “lapse”. As such in these circumstances the give remains within the Estate. I hope that helps. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A few years before, my Uncle died and left an inheritance to my mother who died before she received it, but this inheritance was passed down to my brother and myself. Is there specific wording in a will to ensure this happens which would not have been in my Aunt's will?
This is a different question - happy to help but please rate positive for the first one first - there will not be an additional charge.
The key is that your mother was alive when your uncle died.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it.

my pleasure