Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I am a British citizen. If I am a guardian to a 16 years old

I am a British citizen. If I am a guardian to a 16 years old who is American citizen and I want her to live with me in Britain and go to a state 6th Form Vollege will she need a student visa or will she be entitled to free further education in Great Britain?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
She would need to apply for a student visa. Student funding in the UK is all about which country is her ordinary place of residence before you go off to study. As a general rule, to get government funding she must:usually live in England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotlandhave been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for three years before starting your course (temporary absences such as holidays, temporary jobs and work for the UK armed forces don’t detract from this)be living in England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland on the first day of your first academic year.As well as this, you must be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay) – I would suggest as a starting point you speak to the Local Authority education department to discuss with them what they would be prepared to offer to her, because they will often make allowances depending on needs and circumstances. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.