12826847

We have had a upvc framed conservatory fitted to existing brick

We have had a upvc framed conservatory fitted to existing brick work and the wooden one removed. This upvc conservatory was fitted to the existing solid roof the roof leaks badly the firm have been back on four occasions but have not repaired the leak they have been paid in full prior to this leak being discovered and have now denied all responsibility for the work. Todate we have had three companies to look at this problem all have said the work is rubbish and what has been should not have been carried out, the latest company have said the weight of the roof is the problem already the frames are bowing and out of all levels this work was carried out in July and the companies we have since contacted do not want to attempt repairs because of the poor standard of workmanship what are our options
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What course of legal action can we take against the company
When was the work done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
June/July 2015
Are these companies willing to come to court and say the work is substandard?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there because I have not heard anything
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long will this take to get an answer
I need the information I asked for above?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The work was carried out June and July 2015
Yes, I saw that but are these companies willing to come to court and give evidence that the work was substandard?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Two have said yes they would put statements in because this workmanship gets all builders a bad name
Ok. Good
What was the cost of the work and what is the cost of putting it right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Original price £4250.00 and we are waiting for estimates for the work to be put right.
If you are able to prove that this work is so poor that it falls below the required standard then you do have a claim.
In theory you are under a duty to let the installing company put right any faults unless you can show that you had no faith in their ability to complete. If these companies are willing to say that the work was that poor though you should get over that hurdle.
If so, you have a claim against them for the cost of putting right the work. The law of contract seeks to put a person in the position they would have been had the contract been properly completed as far as money can.
You will need quotes and you will need to choose the most economical. However, this is almost certainly a small claims court sum and so it would be cheap and quick to issue. You can do so here
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
but I would send them a letter before action first giving them 28 days to pay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would this be a solictors letter or do we formulate ourself
You can get a solicitor to write to them but that racks up cost although only by £100 or thereabouts.
You can write a letter before action yourself. It doesn't have to be particularly formal.
It does have more impact if written by a solicitor though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you we will contact a solicitor can any of this conversation be saved and emailed to us please
I think it is emailed to you automatically but you can always get back into this post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many Thanks for your help