12826847

My father was burgled and states he had some money from a safe

Customer Question

My father was burgled and states he had some money from a safe stolen, a laptop and a tablet. He does not know when it happened within a period of a month or so. Only his own finger prints were found and he was the only person who knew the combination for the safe where the money was kept. I have now been asked to attend as a suspect many months down the line. I am very worried and confused as to why
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Did he make an insurance claim? Who has called you to give evidence?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking why you would be considered a suspect?
Or what will happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has tried to make an insurance claim. The police have contacting me stating I am a suspect and I need to attend an interview next week. I don't understand what possible evidence they may have
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, it could be anything.
Forensics possibly obtained by the SOCO team. I don't know whether or not your prints or DNA would legitimately be at your father's property ?
I obviously won't know what evidence they have against you. It might be that it is very weak. I was a police station rep for years and not everybody who is arrested faces strong evidence.
Is it possible that your father could have made a statement implicating you?
If you can ask a specific question I could probably offer more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm asking what would they need as evidence to prove I am the perpertrator. I am a nurse and rhis could absolutely ruin my career. They can't possibly have my finger prints on a safe (ive never touched it) my prints would legitimately be at the property as I was there 6 weeks prior to the possible theft date. I have used the laptop before which was stolen with permission as I have borrowed it before. My father is a vulnerable adult and his wife died a few weeks before. I wondering whether he has implicated me without realising and he does not know why they have contacted me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It could be a forensic hit then.
He could have said something implicating you.
If you haven't touched the safe then there shouldn't be a forensic hit there.
I suppose the other issue might be that they have recovered the property and your prints are upon it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. But evidence of this sort is circumstantial surely. is it enough to secure a conviction? (i have all sorts of scenarios running through my mind)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends what it is.
A forensic hit alone would not be sufficient if you were able to explain it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What else would be needed?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends on the circumstances.

Forensics alone wouldn't lead to a prosecution unless it were inexplicable.

CPS don't generally prosecute on weak evidence for this particular offence.