Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have recently had a meeting with my manager and the managing

I have recently had a meeting with my manager and the managing director of the company. I have subsequently found out that the conversation was recorded on a laptop.
Can you please advise?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked or the employer and what would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is my employer able to record conversations with me without informing me beforehand? I have worked there for 7 years!
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi covert monitoring runs contrary to the Data Protection Act , in essence unless you were told that you would be monitored or there is a policy which says that the conversation may be recorded then what your employer did was unlawful.
I would suggest you raise a grievance about this and you could report your employer to the Information Commissioner www.ico.gov.uk if you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the grievance.
If as a result of the meeting you are disciplined or dismissed, you could complain that this is an unfair procedure and potentially claim unfair dismissal.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I note you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process.