Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I need to know how to go about claiming compensation from

Customer Question

I need to know how to go about claiming compensation from Christies Hospital Manchester concerning the death of my father when he was given 4 hours radiation treatment instead of 4 minutes, Thank you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. You need both a solicitor and a medical expert in the area of radiation. I would advise you to see a solicitor who specialises in medical negligence cases, as they are quite specialist and unless there is some expertise, you risk the success of your case. This medical negligence solicitor will engage an expert in the area of radiation who will prepare an expert medical report which will comment on whether there is an actionable and successful claim for medical negligence. This expert medical report is necessary as it is a rule that no proceedings may be instituted for medical negligence unless there is an expert medical report supporting the allegation of medical negligence.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.

2. In the facts you narrate, the case seems quite open and shut. The level of radiation treatment was simply much too great. However, I caution you, that unless you have a supporting expert medical report, you cannot issue legal proceedings. Be aware that most medical negligence solicitors will be retained on the basis that no charge will be made apart from the costs associated with getting the supportive expert medical report. Then if that report is favourable, proceedings can be issued and the case progressed. If not, that will be the extent of charges.