ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I am divorced from my husband and have three children

I am divorced from my husband and have three children for whom he has been paying maintenance. He has recently voluntarily given up is job as a teacher and received a 'Voluntary early release' payment of between £45,000 and £50,000 - he won't tell me how much. He intends to live off this money for the foreseeable future while he travels around Europe and has used the fact that he now has no job to slash the maintenance payments for the children. Do I have any claim on his payout for my children?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.
Please can I ask - is your husband currently paying child maintenance through the CMS, court order or voluntary agreement?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By voluntary agreement based on the terms of a divorce settlement
Was the amount to be paid included in the order and sealed by the court? If so what was the terms?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It states on my divorce papers that my exhusband will pay 25% of his earnings for three children up until 18.
My divorce was dealt with by a family lawyer. We did not go to court but obviously it was ratified by a court.
Thank you for confirming this.
Thank you for confirming that the order was sealed by the court - this means that your ex is paying under a court order and not a voluntary arrangement.
If your ex stops paying the maintenance as per the court order - You should seek to enforce the court order and the monies outstanding. There are various ways to enforce the order that you have. The link below discusses some of the options -as your ex clearly has the money - you should consider the link for applying for a Judgment Summons.
http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-legal-information/relationships-family-law/enforcing-maintenance-orders.html
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received. Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so am I right in assuming that even though he is not working at the moment, this 'redundancy payment' can be regarded as income and therefore my children are entitled to 25% in lieu of the maintenance he was paying before?

I have looked at my divorce papers and each page has been stamped with a dated court stamp. Does this mean it has been sealed?

As it stands at the moment the court order is still in place whether or not he was working or not. If your ex wanted to vary the order then he should apply to do so but he hasn't.
You can therefore seek to enforce the current terms of the order.
Does this clarify?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But if he is not working, he has no monthly income to pay out which is why I am asking if I have a claim to the lump sum redundancy payout
You already have a court order in place in respect of the monthly payments.
Unless your ex seeks to vary the order then that order is in force irrespective of what your ex's income position is.
If either of you sought to vary the maintenance order the court may decide to increase, decrease or keep the same. From your question - you are not seeking to vary the court order but are asking the court to make him honour what he should be paying. This is why you need to enforce the order. You are unlikely to succeed if you are considering whether the court can pay the child maintenance as a lump sum from the redundancy payment. Your payments should continue monthly unless you separate.
As stated - you have a sealed court order and you really should enforce this.
If your looking for a lump sum in addition to enforcing the maintenance then you could consider a Schedule 1 children act claim. This is a claim for the benefit of the child sum as a past or future expense such as a family car or school fees.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see but the court order doesn't state a monetary figure of payment. Just 25% of his net income which he is saying is 0 at the moment which is why I am asking about the lump sum.
OK! that makes sense!
I am sorry I missed that.
In that case I would say you need to consider the following:
1) seek to amend the court order. This will involve an application to the court. The court could vary to a monthly amount. The court could however choose to reduce his liability.
or
2) make an application to transfer to the Child Maintenance Service. It is my understanding that they don't include statutory redundancy pay as income but they do include contractual redundancy - which you have stated that he is getting.
With either monthly order - if he moves abroad - check REMO countries - countries that have a reciprocal arrangement to enforce child maintenance. If he doesn't pay whilst living abroad you can seek to enforce through your magistrates courts.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/countries-where-you-can-enforce-child-maintenance-decisions
You could also consider the Schedule 1 Children Act as mentioned above.
I hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Caroline
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery