Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I own a "Servis" washer drier which is still on warranty. It

I own a "Servis" washer drier which is still on warranty. It has not worked for ten weeks. Engineers keep coming once a week with different parts which does not fix the problem. Now they have taken it away for further examination. How long does an appliance become unfit for use and should be replaced
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. New legislation that started today would claim that they only have one opportunity to fix the problem before you can demand a refund. Unfortunately as you purchased the washer before today we have to go with what is reasonable. As you have been without the product for 10 weeks, I think it is far to say that simply repairing it has not work and you should reasonable be allowed to have the item replaced. How old was the item when it broke? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine is one year old, but it has a two year warranty in place
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. ***** would suggest you do is the following, write to them and say:- It has now been ten weeks that you are without a functioning washing machine;- You acknowledge that the machine is under warranty and you have given them ample opportunity to repair the machine;- Under Sale of Goods Act 1979 it would not be considered reasonable to take ten weeks to make such a repair and in fact the new consumer rights legislation would say they only have on chance to repair it;- Say that you are incurring cost and expense not have your washing machine and if they do not provide you with a functioning washing machine or equal superior quality within 7 days for your use you reserve the right to either:(i) Complain to Trading Standards https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office​(ii) Sue them in the county court for your losses.This should put some pressure on them to resolve, but if they still do not take proper action then I would complain to Trading Standards.Kind regardsAJ